Thursday, May 8, 2014

Why is Modi and BJP trying to weaken the image of our constitutional institutions?

The whole media is running with BJP manufactured buzz that the Election Commission is partial against BJP. And then I started reading about election commission and its current commissioner, V.S. Sampath.

As usual, I started with Wikipedia & found the following opening paragraph, "Veeravalli Sundaram Sampath is the current chief election commissioner (CEC) of India. As favoured by Congress President (Sonia Gandhi) he replaced S. Y. Quraishi as the Chief Election Commissioner on 11 June, 2012." 

This was an unusual statement on Wikipedia and when I looked at the reference list, I couldn't find the source that says that Mr Sampath was favored by Sonia Gandhi!!
I did my own research and couldn't find reason to believe that Sampath became commissioner because he was favored by Sonia Gandhi!

I looked into the source history of the article and found that it was MODIfied when Modi fired his first salvo against the election commission by a handle called "Pinkypiyush". I removed the intensionally misleading statement from Wiki, but think about this:

BJP got media in their favor through intimidation and money but now they are using the same tactic with constitutional institutions. What I do not understand is how Modi will build a strong India by weakening its institutions?

No comments: