Thursday, May 15, 2014

How 'The Accidental Prime Minister' changed my perspective towards Manmohan Singh?

Almost at the verge of completing Sanjaya Baru's 'The Accidental Prime Minister', I simultaneously feel happy and sad for Manmohan Singh. Lot has been said about Manmohan Singh by everyone, including myself, that were mostly unfair on him. Manmohan Singh proves that brilliance does not need eloquence and strength is not shown through coarseness of your voice or body language. Strength comes from character and integrity!

The book quite successfully destroys the myth (atleast for me) that Dr Singh was a puppet in the hands of Sonia Gandhi and establishes quite well that Dr Singh exerted his will successfully wherever he deemed necessary. The book also indicates that the credit were given to Sonia and her Son by the sycophants in Congress and Dr Singh never opposed it or showed any bitterness. It is highly contentious fact that he chose to remain quiet amongst Raja (he tried to oppose Raja's appointment) & Kalmadi and for this Mamohan Singh will always be judged.

One of the most important disadvantage of Dr Singh was that he was not an elected representative and chose to be in Rajya Sabha even during UPA-II when he could have easily won a seat (2009 elections), this resulted in greater number of power centers (apart from Sonia, there were other coalition partners) in both UPA sarkars which eventually led to its doom. 





Now, one would wonder why was the book so severely criticized by Congress even when it sounds pro-Manmohan? After reading the book, I realize that it wasn't criticized for what it writes about Dr Singh but for what it implies about the bearers of the dynasty and some prominent congress party ministers!!!

Congress deserves 2014 elections but Dr Singh doesn't deserve to be clubbed into the same group with Sonia & Rahul when we criticize and ridicule the party. Finally, the reason I feel happy for Dr Singh is because I have started to believe, unlike what I believed earlier, Manmohan Singh was not a disgrace on PMO and my first impression of the PM was not as wrong as I once believed.

PS: The book doesn't give any additional facts than what I already know. But it gives a perspective which makes me sympathetic to Manmohan Singh

No comments: